Breaking the Ice: The Last Girl on Earth Tour and Digging Up My Caribbean Roots

Updates:

So, I am super excited to report that I have bought my tickets for Rihanna's The Last Girl on Earth Tour. She will be coming to The Color Line Arena in Hamburg, Germany on May 1st, 2010 @ 20:00 (8:00pm). I am a bit afraid of being swamped by teeny-boppers, so I bought tickets in an area where you can sit. Pray for me.

While I will be screaming-crooning the words with everyone else (and RiRi), I will not be jumping up and down, drunk, or in any other way out of my mind. Ok, ... I might be out of my mind with excitement, but I should have all physiological functions operating. But seriously, the Germans party hard, and I just want to come out alive. lol

I am also super excited to report to you that I will be digging up my ROOTS. Yes! My father has family who lives in Hamburg from his mother's side that most of us have never met. I spoke with my cousin on the phone and got even more excited. He speaks pretty good English and has a noticeable Caribbean accent. Him and his wife are diehard musicians, and I will have the opportunity to see them in concert the day before TLGOE Concert. He has also promised to introduce me to his parents and the general family.

I am really excited about this because I don't know my father's family much. My mother has a large family; most of all who have immigrated to the States from Costa Rica. But my father's family is much smaller; and most of them have not emigrated from Jamaica. The last time I saw someone from my father's extended family was in Jamaica when I was nine. And they are great. Very Caribbean, talented/gifted, and full of humor. I look forward to eating some rice and peas, curry goat, and brown chicken...whatever you got fam!

So overall, I expect to have a very eclectic Caribbean weekend between Rihanna and family reunions, and hopefully a Caribbean meal. Who would have ever thought I'd get to do something Caribbean in Europe? But actually, being here it is not so surprising. About every 2-3 weeks, I get approached by someone who hands me some type of flyer for a reggae-inspired event--club night, talk, etc. For real, this is how I know that there is a Bob Marley memorial going on in Karlsruhe (neighboring city) the weekend after my birthday. Someone approached me with a flyer for the event and invited me to it.

Thus, in Caribbean solidarity, I sign off with this video of Rihanna performing her newest single, "Rockstar 101" on American Idol. Love this song!!!! And she rocks it with justice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Our Queer Mothers

Acts of Omission et al: Prop 8, Racism, etc

Urvashi Vaid, A Long Legacy Long in the Making