It's an iTunes Takeover

Yes, I have caved to the great powers of Apple. I've had iTunes downloaded on my computer for a long time, but rarely, if ever, have I used it. Until Germany. A friend of mine came and blessed me with some music. Thus, began my tour into the world of iTunes.

See, I'm a CD person. I figure if you're that excited about someone, you should support them. Mp3s, for me, had always come from Napster or Limewire, and thus, were for previewing something. Not supporting someone. But it seems as if iTunes has changed all of this.

Even still, there are some things I just should not have easy access to...for my own good. A GAP, Inc. credit card is one of those things. Purchasable music at the click of a button is another.

As I have moved into the world of fixed incomes (i.e., graduate student for life), I have purchased less music. The positive result of this is that I have a much smaller collection of music that I am very enthusiastic about. The negative result of this is that I do not have enough music to feed all my moods. So, sometimes I just sit in silence. Seriously, for days. No music. No T.V. Just the tapping of the keyboard and Luther's yawning.

Now, thanks to my friend and iTunes, everyday is a party. I am rediscovering myself and music. I can't get enough of googling artists and albums. I need to know who created the song, how the album sold, and what people are thinking about it (get's you accustomed to pointing out unfounded claims, like Rihanna's CD is a flop. Yeah, right!). Meantime, my appreciation for rap and hip hop has deepened; and I have learned the value of variety. Toast to iTunes. You make European life very enjoyable.

Still, I fear for myself. I just don't have much self-control when it comes to purchasing Gap products and music, which is why I am really happy that Bloomington, IN does not have a Gap nor a really diverse collection of music. Even without having a lot of local access to Gap and music, I still spend a lot on each of them (trips home, to Indy, online, when traveling...and there are some places in Btown you can trust will have things on the release data...Tracks, Best Buy, and Walmart).

Back to the iTunes topic though. I brought an American iTunes gift card with me to Europe. I thought I'd use it to watch American TV shows, since they are completely inaccessible here. After tiring of my friend's donated mp3s (thanks!), I started buying things slowly. However, I used it up this past Wednesday. Thursday, I bought a German gift card for "special" purchases. Note: SPECIAL. By Friday, I had cleaned out the German card. Today (Saturday), after hearing Acapella (Kelis) and When Love Takes Over (David Guerta ft. Kelly Rowland), I just broke down and gave them my credit card numbers (The German gift cards only work in the German iTunes store, which doesn't have all the tracks I want; though, they have a lot of interesting stuff). Bastards!

I guess it's an iTunes takeover in Abigail's house. Here's a sample of my recent playlist. I have over 19 hours of music already. It's very difficult to go to sleep when all you want to do is hear that beat one more time. I've been falling asleep with my wireless headset that I bought for my Skype account. **sigh** Pray that I find self-control. ...Soon.
  • Lloyd - Certified
  • Alicia Keys - Love is Blind
  • Jay Z ft. Rihanna/Kanye - Run This Town
  • Kelly Rowland -- Like This
  • Damian Marley & Nas -- Strong Will Continue
  • Ludacris - War With Gods
  • G-Unit - Gangsta Shit
  • Bow Wow - Outta My Mind
  • Destiny's Child - Soldier
  • Color Me Badd - Sexual Capacity
  • Tevin Campbell - I'm Ready
  • Alicia Keys ft. Beyonce' - Put It In A Love Song
  • Timbaland ft. Drake - Say Something
  • Jagged Edge - Can't Get Right
  • Jay-Z - 30 Something
  • Mariah Carey - Ribbon
  • Rihanna - Cold Case Love
  • Robin Thicke - Sex Therapy
  • Justin Timberlake - My Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts of Omission et al: Prop 8, Racism, etc

Honoring Our Queer Mothers

Urvashi Vaid, A Long Legacy Long in the Making