Posing Me: Masculine Gender Non-Conformity in Academia

With a name like "Abigail Sewell", people are usually surprised to meet me -- black, queer, masculine-of-center woman. Intending to put my gender non-conforming self on blast, I showed up to my Emory photo shoot by Bryan Meltz this past Fall in full gear -- tie, sweater vest, fancy socks, bright colored button down, and oxfords. I was pleased a couple of weeks later when Bryan sent me pictures that revealed myself as strong, confident, and at ease. This is the face that I want to present to students: We are not all battle-weary. Instead, the battle to be and write authentic fuels me to look to myself as the source of my own safety net and creative muse. Basically, it starts with me.

I was reminded of that when a student in a class I guest lectured in this past Fall came to me and asked: "I hope you don't mind, but...Where do you buy your clothes?" A bit startled, I fumbled a bit for an answer. Yet, as this fellow Black masculine-of-center, gender non-conforming person looked at me quizzically for a credible answer, I found my voice steadily. Where I shop for my clothes is a deeply personal act of resistance I take against a racist gender regime that does not love my body. It's also a very personal act of comfort, so I will not be sharing the answer in public.

Nonetheless, I share with you this picture reel of five (5) shots taken by someone who did not try to put me into a box. They simply asked me to act "natural" so they could capture the essence of the look behind my eyes.

Enjoy!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts of Omission et al: Prop 8, Racism, etc

Honoring Our Queer Mothers

Urvashi Vaid, A Long Legacy Long in the Making