Want to Defeat Trump? Register to VOTE! Notes on the RNC and Hillary Clinton

Watching the RNC intermittently this week, including Monday and Thursday night, I am ever more convinced that moderates and liberals need to get up off of theirselves and go out and vote! Monday after watching the RNC, I posted to Facebook regarding their slogan, "Make America Great Again". Bane of my existence. *smh*

 

I make the argument in the post that we don't need to make America great again -- it's the greatest it has ever been, especially for nonwhite folks. No, we need to "Make America Just, NOW!" People pick up phrases like "Make America Great Again" partly because they believe it, partly because it resonates with their sociopolitical preferences, and partly because it's catchy. It may not be catchy to say, "Make America Just, NOW!" But that's what this country needs today. And, I am soundly convinced we will not get Just in a Trump America.

So, I encourage you to go out and vote for Hillary Clinton come November 8th. Yep, I am endorsing the supposed devil from the gates of hell -- partly, because I actually believe in Hillary, partly because much of what she says and endorses resonates with my sociopolitical preferences, and partly because I think it is the only way our country to maintain the justice we already have achieved. I am voting for Hillary Clinton primarily because I would like to not be relegated to a third-class citizen and because I do not want a president who will scapegoat Islamic terrorism for hate crimes against LGBTQ people. I do not want a nationalistic, dictator-type #POTUS who will absolve all our concerns with his mere presence. Not only is this idea of a singular, corrective force embodied in a white man a myth, it is also dangerously un-democratic.



So, go get registered to vote by October 11th, so that on November 8th, you can show up and show out!!! Let's defeat Trump in November!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acts of Omission et al: Prop 8, Racism, etc

Honoring Our Queer Mothers

Urvashi Vaid, A Long Legacy Long in the Making